Mon, Sep

Heritage sites protection tops ministry’s action plan


abul-bari-jahani-moic-ministerSurveying, rehabilitating and protecting historic sites around the Mes Ainak copper mine and other heritage sites of the country, reforms in the newspaper industry, news websites and planning international exhibitions would be major goals of the Information and Cultural Ministry’s 100-day action plan, the minister said on Tuesday.

Abdul Bari Jahani said a tourism development board would be established, a national youth strategy developed and an information centre and tourism funds monetary committee established under the plan.

Unveiling his ministry’s plan, Jahani said the plan had been divided in five main sections and the important one was rehabilitation of historic sites around the Mes Ainak mine in central Logar province.

He said the monuments around the copper mine reflected the golden Buddhist era and their protection was important for the extraction of copper.

As many as 2,000 historic relics had so far been shifted to the Kabul museum from the Ainak copper mine site and another about 1,000 objects were still in the site.

The minister said planning exhibitions to showcase the Tilla Tapa (golden hill) treasury, signing the Bakhtar treasury exhibition contracts with the US and collection of more than 100 monuments with the help of Japan for the Tilla Tapa treasury exhibition would be included in the ministry’s future activities.

He said during the coming 100 days, the Ministry of Information would increase its contacts with media organizations to improve government’s relations with the media.

According to Jahani, there will be more focus on the quality of newspapers and the state-run Bakhtar News Agency would be uplifted.

He said a national youth strategy would be developed and a database incepted in which skilled youth would be registered.

He said the ministry would be focusing on recruitment of youths for volunteer activities in coordination with the Kabul Municipality and arrangement of volunteers’ conferences.

Jahani said 80 percent of the ministry budget went to salaries of the ministry officials and the remaining 20 percent used for development of culture, tourism and youth.

The process of explaining 100-day action plans by ministries started last month and would continue until late July.