Mon, Sep

NPC saves 14b afs in 725 contracts in a year: Hakimi


Eklil-Ahmad-RahimiFinance Minister Eklil Hakimi on Saturday said the National Procurement Committee (NPC) had made 40 percent of major contracts up to the required standard and work on the remaining 60 percent was underway.

The minister was testifying before the Wolesi Jirgainfo-icon after being summoned along with other members of the NPC to answer lawmakers’ questions on key points and transparency in the commission’s affairs.

NPC members Hakimi, Justice Minister Abdul Basir Anwar and Ismael Rahimi were present at the house to brief lawmakers about NPC performance.

Some lawmakers claimed the NPC caused corruption and delayed some projects. But Hakimi said the NPC had scrutinised 900 contracts in one year, approving 725 contracts worth 136 billion afghanis. The minister claimed 14 billion afghanis that could be wasted were saved in the contracts.

He said the commission conducted 46 weekly meetings and three emergency meetings, in which 66 contracts worth 5.6 million afghanis had been rejected and 108 contracts sent for a review. He said contracts with 47 companies were scrapped due poor quality work and other issues.

Hakimi said these efforts and tight scrutiny brought 40 percent of contracts up to the standard and work on the remaining contracts was underway.

He said: “No government authority can rejects a project under the pretext of non-availability of funds.”

Justice Minister Abdul Basir Anwar said the scrutinized contracts had been reformed and most legal issues resolved.

He said more accuracy and transparency needed approval of laws relating NPC by the parliament.