About 135 armed rebels were killed, 81 injured and 132 others arrested during 78 joint operations by security force over the past three months in eastern Nangarhar province, officials said on Monday.
Provincial police chief, Brig. Gen. Fazal Ahmad Sherzad, made the claim during a joint news conference with Public Order Police Commander Col. Nasir Ahmad Sapi and representatives of border guards.He said that the security operations, carried out by Afghan National Army (ANA) and police in insecure parts of the province, had yielded satisfactory results.
“More than 170 weapons, thousands of bullets, walkie-talkies and other tools were seized during the offensives,” he said, adding the Torkham-Jalalabad highway had been secured.
Over the past three months, 11 check-points had also been set up in various parts of the province. He assured the April elections would be held transparently in Nangarhar, where major clearing operations were on the cards.
While rejecting rumours that some districts were on the verge of collapse, Gen. Sherzad said they saw no security threats, except in Hesarak district. But they planned security measures in the district, he said.“In next two months, Nangarharis will see a tangible security improvement. I have come here to ensure security. There has been many positive changes,” the police official insisted.
On Saturday, a Wolesi Jirga member from Nangarhar, Haji Zahir Qadir, expressed concern over the deteriorating security situation in the province.But Sherzad said many kidnappers and armed rebels had been arrested and more than 300 kilograms of drugs seized by police.
Speaking on the occasion, Sapi, said efforts had been intensified to stabilise the province. Coordination among security organs had increased, leading to certain achievements, he concluded.