Two separate groups of militants joined the government initiated peace process in eastern Nangarhar province on Sunday, an official said.
Malak Nazir, provincial peace committee head, told Pajhwok Afghan News both the groups--- who surrendered their weapons--- were involved in anti-state activities in Ghanikhel and Zherzad districts.
Mohammad Amin, commander of a seven member militants group told Pajhwok Afghan News that they would shun violence in larger interests of the country and nation and work in tandem for greater peace.
“We have been trained and provided with armed by Pakistanis and ordered to destroy bridges and plant bombs on roads,” he claimed.
He urged other militants to reconcile with the peace process and restrain from anti-state acts.
As many as 270 militants had joined the peace process so far in Nangarhar, the provincial peace committee said.