21
Sun, Jul

Kunduz offensive ends with killing of 130 rebels

North
Typography

Kunduz police

Local officials said on Wednesday a month-long operation in the Chahar Dara district of northern Kunduz province had ended with the killing of 130 insurgents, with the Taliban still flexing their muscles.

 

The Shaheen 2 operation was conducted jointly by Afghan National Army (ANA), Afghan National Police (ANP), National Directorate of Security (NDS), Public Order Police and Afghan Local Police (ALP) to flush out militants from Chahar Dara district.
Maj. Gen. Ghulam Mustafa Mohseni, the provincial police chief, told Pajhwok Afghan News 130 insurgents were killed and 80 others wounded during the operation.
A number of dreaded Taliban commanders, including Mullah Afzal, Mullah Sultan, Abdur Rahim and Mullah Shah Wali, were among the dead, he added. About 40 villages were cleared of militants and 15 security posts established.
Security officials said that foreign fighters, including Pakistanis and Chechens, were supporting Taliban in fighting against Afghan security forces in the district.
However, Brig. Gen. Janullah Safi, commander of the 209th Shahin Military Corps, confirmed 24 Afghan security forces also suffered casualties in the operation.

“We have deployed fresh security personnel to the newly-established check-posts. The fresh security men are professional enough to foil attacks,” he said.
Residents appreciated the operation and asked the displaced families to return as the situation had become normal.
Niamatullah, a dweller of Chahar Dara district, said: “Earlier, the Taliban used to come back after Afghan forces ended operations but security forces have now built posts to keep the militants at bay.” He said some 300 residents had been displaced from the area due to the offensive.