Gen. Murad Ali Murad, the deputy chief of staff of the Afghan National Army (ANA), told TOLOnews reporter early Thursday morning in Kunduz that security forces - particularly the special forces, with the help of coalition air support - have retaken control of the embattled city.
He said the operation started in Kunduz city at about 11:00 pm Wednesday night. According to Murad hundreds of Taliban insurgents were killed during the offensive.
Murad said ongoing clearance operations are underway in various parts of the city and province and will continue until the insurgents have been fully suppressed.
Meanwhile Gen. Mohammad Qasim Janghalbagh, the Kunduz police chief, in charge of the Afghan forces' clearance operation, said that the city had been cleared of insurgents by 4 am local time on Thursday.
Janghalbagh who was speaking in the main square of Kunduz city early Thursday said that the forces have retaken control of police headquarters, the prison and other parts of the city and the operation will continue until all insurgents have been cleared from the province.