Two hundred Taliban fighters were killed during clashes in southern Ghazni province last week, an official said, but the insurgent spurned the claim as baseless.
Deputy Governor Mohammad Ali Ahmadi, speaking exclusively to Pajhwok Afghan News, acknowledged the Taliban had closed the Kabul-Kandahar near Ghazni City for three days.
The militants also conducted attacks on security personnel on the outskirts of the provincial capital, he said, adding important commanders were among the 200 fighters killed in the fighting. At least 50 militants were wounded in the firefights, which also left six civilians dead and a dozen more injured, Ahmadi said.
Mohammad Ismail Quraishi, commander of the special unit in Ghazni, said more than 200 Taliban were killed and wounded last week. “Pakistani militants from Waziristan were also among the dead.” Ghazni Civil Hospital Director Dr. Baz Mohammad Himmat told Pajhwok eight bodies and as many injured individuals had been brought to the hospital on Tuesday. There were women and children among the injured -- all civilians.
Meanwhile, Taliban spokesman Zabihullah Mujahid denied the fighters had suffered any casualties in Ghazi during the past week. Instead he claimed the fighters had killed and wounded security personnel in a string of clashes.